Antic Teatre – Espai de Creació, better known as Antic Teatre, is an independent Social and Cultural Centre occupying a building that dates back to 1650 and has been listed in the City of Barcelona’s Architectural and Historical Heritage Catalogue since 1979. In between the Santa Caterina market and the Palau de la Música, in the very heart of the city, it has become a landmark venue for the neighbourhood with its unique garden and wealth of cultural and social history.
Com a sala productora i exhibidora, per a l’Antic Teatre el leitmotiv és arriscar-se.
Què és l’Antic, què fa i per què ho fa es concreta en els següents valors: aposta per l’experimentació i la recerca en el camp de les arts escèniques contemporànies; interdisciplinarietat; atenció a les vulnerabilitats i a la perspectiva de gènere; mirada artística d’abast internacional i acció local; prospecció i atenció a la novetat, i trampolí per a la creació emergent; coherència; perseverança; crítica i autocrítica; independència artística i de pensament; diàleg; compromís amb l’art i amb l’educació des de la Cultura de Base; lligam amb el territori i lliure iniciativa ciutadana; aspiració a l’autogestió i la sostenibilitat, recuperació de patrimoni.
To fulfil this mission we pursue the following objectives:
1. To exist as a centre for experimentation, creation, residencies, production, exhibition, promotion and distribution by and for professional artists whether local, national or international.
2. To provide particular support to young and emerging creators presenting their first project or show, but without forgetting experienced independent artists beginning to make their name and artists with long and recognised careers.
3. To improve our support to live arts projects and proposals that come through Antic Teatre, mainly by improving financial assistance.
4. To collaborate with all those collectives offering different cultural proposals in line with Antic Teatre’s programming.
5. To bo beyond the production and exhibition of shows by encouraging artists in the creation of artistic projects with the local community, and collaborating with all artists and collectives that are socially and politically active in defending the interests of the sector as a whole, and who are committed to their social environment, in creating a place that facilitates encounters and debate between neighbours, citizens, audience and artists.
6. To defend our position as an independent and sustainable cultural and social centre in which connection to the community and the local environment play a fundamental and guiding role.
See Antic Teatre’s POLITICS here.
AWARDS AND PRIZES:
– TIME OUT BEST THEATRE AWARD 2021 because: “In a year marked by the restrictions of the pandemic, Antic Teatre has continued to stand behind talent and risk, with first-rate shows such as Aquellas que no deben morir and other delights which are now touring the world. It is, and this is no little thing, a threatened space that should be cared for as if it were a precious jewel.”
– PERFORMANCE ARTS CRITICS AWARD 2019 for best theatre for: “supporting experimentation in contemporary performance arts and its work as a launch pad for emerging creation since 2013”.
– PREMIO QUÈFEM? La Vanguardia 2019 AWARD for the best theatre.
– DANSACAT 2014 AWARD to the Antic Teatre team: “For all their work with and commitment to professionals in the dance and Performance Arts sectors. For their dedication to programming and providing visibility to experimental creations and new performance languages. For being the only alternative venue that represents, takes risks, and provides continued support to independent creators, offering visibility and residencies. For listening to the needs of the sector and searching for working formulas, providing a programming that is both varied and coherent.”
– SEBASTIÀ GASCH FAD AWARD 2004 to Semolina Tomic for “recovering the Antic Teatre, transforming it from an abandoned civic centre into a live stage for contemporary creation, and for the cultural and artistic benefits of recovering said venue.”
– HUESCA INTERNATIONAL THEATRE AND DANCE FAIR 2004 for most innovative programming in Spain.
Companies and artists’ AWARDS AND PRIZES:
– TIME OUT AWARD 2018 to Roger Peláez for best radical talent.
– SEBASTIÀ GASCH FAD AWARD 2018 for paratheatrical arts to Sociedad Doctor Alonso for Y los huesos hablaron.
– Agnès Mateus & Quim Tarrida have received various awards for Rebota, rebota y en tu cara explota:
- SEBASTIÀ GASCH FAD APPLAUSE AWARD 2018.
- BUTACA AWARD 2018 for New Performance contributions.
- DRAMA CRITICS PRIZE 2017 for best show, new performance trends.
– SEBASTIÀ GASCH FAD AWARD 2016 to emerging artist Carla Rovira for: “taking spectators to the henhouse and making them understand that the magic of inadequate elements can be very involving. For allowing us to be vulnerable.”
– SEBASTIÀ GASCH FAD APPLAUSE AWARD 2016 to Associació Nyamnyam.